I have always wanted to get involved in blanket crochet-a-long and it seems like 2021 is off to a good start! I am so excited to share the Friendship CAL with you- a brand new blanket crochet-a-long.
ABOUT FRIENDSHIP CAL – NEW BLANKET CROCHET-A-LONG
We have just lived through one of the weirdest years in centuries, right? 2020… well what can we say? Many things got cancelled. Events, concerts, gatherings down to personal parties, weddings etc…
But it is safe to say that there were two things that remained – love and friendship! Last year was a total (insert your choice of words…)
But if you are one of those people always looking on the bright side, it has taught us a lot of things.
When going gets tough, love and friendship will carry you over the highest mountains and gets you across the deepest rivers…
And this is where the idea for this years blanket crochet-a-long comes from. Twenty-eight crochet designers teamed up together under the lead of Helen from Sunflower Cottage Crochet to bring you this fun event.
We have put together 40 FREE crochet square designs that would make a stunning crochet blanket. Of course you don’t have to commit to a blanket.
You can just pick out a few crochet squares and make a different project. Cushion cover, bag, table runner, bed runner or whatever else takes your fancy.
Inspired to go stash busting and make a blanket? Why not take a look at my easy Cottage Crochet Blanket and get stuck in right away?
This blog post contains affiliate links and if you click through them to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. I link these companies and their products because of their quality and service not because of the commission I receive from your purchase.
MATERIALS AND BASIC INFORMATION NEEDED FOR BLANKET CROCHET-A-LONG
The squares were designed with aran/worsted weight yarn and the finished measurement is 9 x 9 inches.
To make all 40 squares you will need 3,015 yards of #4 weight yarn. We used Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran which was used for the blanket in the photo.
That equates to 4 colours using 4 skeins of each at 201 yards per skein. For joining the squares and the border you will need additional 3 skeins (605 yards) of complimentary colour.
You can of course go stash busting and use up scraps of DK weight yarn too.
From today 15th January we will release a brand you FREE square crochet pattern every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday until 18th April.
- Paintbox Simply Aran in the following colour ways and amounts (note each skein is 201 yards so I used 3015 approximately before joining):
- Paper White – Colour 200 – 4 skeins
- Raspberry Pink – Colour 243 – 4 skeins
- Tea Rose – Colour 242 – 4 skeins
- Candy Floss Pink – Colour 249 – 4 skeins
- Peach Orange – Colour 254 – 3 skeins (with very little to spare so you might want to get an extra skein)
- Hooks – from 4mm to 6mm
- Stitch Markers – guaranteed you will need at least 4 of these (regardless of skill level)!
- tapestry needle
HOW TO KEEP UP TO DATE WITH THE CAL
- Option 1- I will update the blog post with each square as they are released. I have organised them into separate posts depending on time they are released. You will find the links at the bottom of this page. You can bookmark this page and come back to check when a new square has been released.
- Option 2- I will be sending out a newsletter every time a new square is released. You can sign up to my email list to get an email reminder straight into your inbox.
- Option 3– It wouldn’t be a crochet-a-long if there was no community to interact with, right? I am inviting you to join my Facebook group HERE. I will be running the CAL over there and popping in to check out all your beautiful work and cheer you on!
- Option 4- You can get all 40 crochet square patterns right now! If you prefer to get your hands on all the patterns rather than wait for them to be released, you can! Check out the crochet bundle that includes all 40 crochet square patterns for an amazing price of $10. That is $0.25 per pattern which is a total steal!