This is a free round crochet rug pattern that creates a stunning addition to your home decor. The pattern is very versatile and can be made into other items too!
This is a super quick and easy round crochet rug pattern! I have made this rug in less than an hour and I had a cute and cozy addition to my home.
It will look great in any room in your house. Whether you make one to match the colours in your living room. Secondly, you can make it super colourful for a child’s bedroom.
I have used T-shirt yarn for my round crochet rug. I know not everyone is a fan of working with T-shirt yarn. It can be quite exhausting to work with.
However, I will give you some easy tips and tricks on how to work with T-shirt yarn without breaking your fingers. They are just quick and easy tips to follow.
Although T-shirt yarn is a great choice for crocheting rugs, there are also alternatives you can use. I will list them below.
This pattern is featured in the 2022 Cozy at Home CAL!
How the 2022 Cozy at Home CAL Works
Every Monday from January 10 through March 28, 2022, we’ll share a free crochet pattern to make your home more comfy and cozy! You can make these home decor projects to keep, for gifts, or to donate to charity while chatting with other crocheters in our groups and sharing your projects to win giveaway prizes!
We’ve partnered with Darn Good Yarn, GlassEyesOnline, Hooked for Life Publishing, I Like Crochet, and Shaggy Baggy to bring you some great prizes in our end-of-CAL giveaway. Don’t forget to enter the giveaway in this post on Underground Crafter by Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
How To Join the 2022 Cozy at Home CAL
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Facebook group or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 12 awesome projects. Make your home comfy and cozy while having fun with us!
Visit Underground Crafter to learn more about the prizes, enter the end-of-CAL giveaway, and to get links to each Cozy at Home CAL post as it is released.
Tips On Working With T-shirt Yarn
I know some people get put off if the pattern uses T-shirt yarn. It can be a little hard on your hands and fingers. However, there are a couple of things you can do to make working with T-shirt yarn a little easier.
- Loosen your tension – this is a great tip if you crochet really tight. Because T-shirt yarn has got a little stretch to it, loosening your tension will make the stitches less tight. That means they will be easier to work into without having to apply extra pressure on your hands and fingers.
- Use strong hook – let the hook do the hard work. Using a strong metal, wooden or plastic hook is half the job done. Use a hook that is comfortable for your hand and glides easily through the yarn.
- Take breaks – this is quite important. Although you could make this round crochet rug in about an hour, it doesn’t mean you have to. Take the project step by step and if you feel your hands are getting tired, take a break. Some people find hand stretch exercises especially useful.
Round Crochet Rug Versatile Pattern
As I mentioned above, in my opinion T-shirt yarn would be my first choice for this round crochet rug. However, you can also use DK weight yarn. To make the pattern work, you can hold 6 strands of DK weight together to make a thick yarn.
One of my testers has used this technique and make a rug with 6 strands of DK weight held together and 15 mm crochet hook.
Secondly, the great thing about using 6 strands of DK is the colour combination possibilities. As opposed to T-shirt yarn, you can go as colourful as you like for a child’s bedroom. Or use different shades of one colour for ombre look for your bedroom, living room or hallway.
I think this is also a great way to use up any leftover yarns. You can use even the smallest odd balls of yarn and just join in the next colour when you run out.
If you decide to make this round crochet rug in 6 strands of DK weight yarn held together, the finished diameter is 65 cm across. For this version you will need approximately 265g of DK weight yarn.
Grab the ad free PDF version of this round crochet rug pattern from my shops below.
This blog post contains affiliate links and if you click through them to make a purchase, I will earn a commission. I link these companies and their products because of their quality and service not because of the commission I receive from your purchase.
MATERIALS FOR ROUND CROCHET RUG
- Tek Tek T-shirt yarn (super chunky T-shirt yarn; 100-120m per 700g-1kg) x 1 ball in mustard yellow, for alternative T-shirt yarns CLICK HERE
- 15 mm crochet hook
Blue Star Crochet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
ROUND CROCHET RUG FINISHED SIZE
73 cm diameter
the circle after completing round 1 measures 10 cm across
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS (US CROCHET TERMS)
mc – magic circle
ch – chain stitch
dc – double crochet
dc blo – double crochet stitch worked through back loop only
V-st – V stitch – (1 dc, 2 ch, 1 dc) worked in same st
sc – single crochet
picot – 3 ch, sl st into third ch from hook
st(s) – stitch(es)
For abbreviations master list as set out by Craft Yarn Council, please CLICK HERE.
ROUND CROCHET RUG PATTERN NOTES
- the rug is worked as a circle in rounds
- each round is finished off by slip stitching into the first stitch
- this pattern can be a great stash buster too, you could replace the t-shirt yarn with holding 6 strands of DK weight yarn together or a mix of various weight yarns to use them up
- the easiest way to adjust the size it to change your yarn weight and hook size
- you could also use this pattern for coasters, doilies, appliqués or placemats, table centre decoration
- if made in T-shirt yarn the diameter is 73 cm
- made in 6 strands of DK weight yarn held together, the diameter is 65 cm, you will need approximately 265g of DK weight yarn
- using 1 strand of DK weight, the diameter is 24 cm and you will need approx 20g
- if made in 4-ply/fingering weight yarn and 2.5 mm crochet hook, the finished diameter is 14 cm and you will need 18g of yarn
ROUND CROCHET RUG MAIN PATTERN
Create magic circle.
Rnd 1: 3 ch (counts as first st), 15 dc into mc, sl st to top of beg 3 ch. [16 dc]
Rnd 2: 4 ch (counts as first dc + 1 ch), *1 dc blo in next st, 1 ch; repeat from * around, sl st to 3rd ch of beg 4 ch. [16 dc + sixteen 1 ch-sps]
Rnd 3: 1 ch (doesn’t count as a st), *1 sc into next 1 ch-sp, 3 ch; repeat from * around, sl st to top of first sc. [16 sc, sixteen 3 ch-sps]
Rnd 4: sl st into next 3 ch-sp, 3 ch (counts as first dc), 2 dc in same 3 ch-sp, *3 dc into next 3 ch-sp; repeat from * around, sl st to top of beg 3 ch. [48 dc]
Rnd 5: sl st into next dc, 5 ch, 1 dc in same st at the bottom of beg 5 ch (counts as first V-st), *miss next 2 dc, 1 V st in next; repeat from * around, sl st to 3rd ch of beg 5 ch. [16 V sts]
Rnd 6: sl st into next 2 ch-sp (the middle of V st), 3 ch (counts as first dc), (1 dc, 2 ch, 2 dc) in same 2 ch-sp, *(2 dc, 2 ch, 2 dc) into next 2 ch-sp; repeat from * across, sl st to top of beg 3 ch. [64 dc + sixteen 2 ch-sps]
Rnd 7: 3 ch (counts as first dc), 1 dc in next, *(1 dc, 6 ch, 1 dc) in next 2 ch-sp **, 1 dc in each of the next 4 sts; repeat from * around ending last repeat at **, 1 dc in each of the next 2 sts, sl st to top of beg 3 ch. [96 dc + sixteen 6 ch-sps]
Rnd 8: sl st across the next 2 dc, sl st into next 6 ch-sp, 1 ch (doesn’t count as a st), *(3 sc, 1 ch, picot, 1 ch, 3 sc) into 6 ch-sp, 3 ch, miss next 6 dc; repeat from * around, sl st to first sc. [96 sc, 16 picots, sixteen 3 ch-sps]
Fasten off. Sew in all ends. Depending on yarn you are using, block out to open up the lace pattern.
I hope you enjoyed this round crochet rug pattern. I have more free crochet patterns that you might enjoy right here on the blog.
If you are looking for more patterns that use T-shirt yarn, check out this Fast and Free Crochet T-shirt Yarn Basket Pattern.
If you think you crochet crew would like it too, share the pattern link with them! You can also shout from the rooftops, however it would be more effective if you share this pattern on your social media… Apparently, that’s what today’s kids do, it’s the “cool” thing!
I also send out a fun and free newsletter that is packed with crochet goodies! It is full of free crochet patterns, hand picked round ups and stitch tutorials.
You will also become one of my VIPs and receive exclusive discount codes on newly released patterns that I do not share anywhere else!
So, my crochet newsletter is THE place to be! Sign up below today for a free PDF delivered straight to your inbox right after you sign up!