This is a free houndstooth crochet beanie pattern that is suitable for the whole family. Easy stitch and endless color combinations make this the go-to beanie pattern.
I have been browsing recently for a crochet stitch that would make a modern and stylish crochet beanie. Not just for me, but for my hubby and boys.
Then, I have come across the houndstooth stitch and realized it would be the perfect choice for a crochet beanie that can be worn by all the members of the family.
Houndstooth stitch is such an easy yet super-effective crochet stitch combination and I love it!
The other great thing about this stitch is all the different color combinations you can use.
All you need are two contrasting colors that will make the stitch pattern stand out.
The Jesse Beanie is also one of the 43 patterns included in The Winter Wonders Pattern Bundle. It has been heavily discounted to bring you a real bargain!
Houndstooth Crochet Beanie Stitch
Houndstooth is a classic pattern that has been used in the fashion industry for many years. It is timeless and modern for any era.
I am so happy that the houndstooth pattern has also been translated into crochet!
The great thing is, it is fun to crochet and it is reversible!
The only difference is, that one color is slightly more prone on one side, compared to the other.
Secondly, it is a super versatile stitch that you can use for various projects like blankets, scarves, clothing, and accessories.
Houndstooth stitch is basically a color variation on the very popular Grit Stitch. If you would like to brush up on this stitch, check out How To Crochet Grit Stitch – Free Video Tutorial.
The only difference with the houndstooth stitch is that you will need to change the color every row for the pattern to appear.
I used houndstooth stitch in my crochet beanie which is worked in rounds. The most important thing to remember is to TURN your work after each round.
This way you will have a combination of the right and wrong sides of the stitches which will make the stitch pattern stand out.
Get the ad-free PDF version of this pattern from my shops below:
MATERIALS (contains affiliate links)
- WeCrochet Swish (DK weight; 123 yards/112 m per 50g ball; 100 Fine Superwash Merino Wool) x 2 balls in Dusk, 1 x ball in White
- 4 mm crochet hook
- pom pom maker
- faux fur pom pom
- Yarn needle
51 cm head circumference x 22.5 cm hat height
17 sts x 16 rows = 10 x 10 cm/ 4 x 4 inch measured over houndstooth st pattern
STITCHES AND ABBREVIATIONS (US CROCHET TERMS)
sc- single crochet
sc blo – single crochet through back loop only
sc2tog – single crochet the following two stitches together, decrease
dc – double crochet
grit st – work (1 sc, 1 dc), on the next round work (1 dc, 1 sc), for a video tutorial PLEASE CLICK HERE
houndstooth st – is worked the same as grit stitch with changing colors each row/round
HOUNDSTOOTH CROCHET BEANIE PATTERN NOTES
- the hat is worked bottom up
- the pattern starts with the ribbed brim
- ribbed brim is worked in short rows of sc blo st rows until you reach your desired circumference
- the brim is then joined into a continuous round by crocheting the last row and underside of the foundation chain together
- the main body of the hat is then worked around the long edge of the hat brim
- you will be working around the end stitch of each row of the hat brim and pick up stitches in each row
- so the number of rows of the hat brim will equal number of stitches of the hat’s main body
- the stitch used for the main body is the houndstooth stitch
- houndstooth stitch is basically grit crochet stitch with changing colors each round/row for the houndstooth pattern to stand out
- for the pattern to work in rounds, you must TURN YOUR WORK after each round
- the houndstooth stitch pattern looks slightly different on each side with one color being more prominent on one side than the other
- there is no need to cut and re-join the yarn each round
- simply carry the yarn on the wrong side/inside of the hat unless you wanted the hat to be reversible
- for the hat to be reversible, you will need to cut and join yarn and sew the ends in at the end
How to adjust the size of your houndstooth crochet beanie?
- to adjust the size of the hat, you will need to adjust the length of the hat brim when working the short sc blo rows
- to ensure the houndstooth stitch pattern works out correctly, you will need EVEN number of rows of the hat brim
- then simply join the hat brim into a round and continue working along the long edge of the brim
- you can refer to the handy hat sizes chart below when adjusting the size
- please keep in mind you should work with the main body hat tension as the brim is very stretchy and should be smaller than the hat circumference in order to sit in the head nicely
- so for each 1 cm of the hat circumference, you should have 1.7 sts
- as an example: for a 3-6 months size hat, I will need a 36 cm hat circumference; 36 x 1.7 =61.2 sts which rounded off will be 62 sts of the main hat; therefore you will need to work 62 rows of the hat brim and continue with the houndstooth st pattern
Houndstooth Stitch Crochet Beanie Main Pattern
Crochet Beanie Brim
With yarn A chain 11.
Row 1: starting in 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in each ch across, turn. [10 sc]
Row 2: 1 ch (doesn’t count as a st here and throughout), 1 sc, 8 sc blo, 1 sc in last, turn. [10 sc]
Repeat Row 2 another 92 times until you have 94 rows of the hat brim in total.
Fold the brim in half and line up the stitches of the last rows with the stitches of the underside of the foundation chain.
Using a yarn needle or a hook, sew or crochet the two rows together to join the long strip into the brim of the hat.
Turn right side out.
You will now be working around the long edge of the brim of the hat to create the body.
You will be working around the end sc st of each end of the row of the brim.
Main Body Of Houndstooth Crochet Beanie
Rnd 1: 1 ch, 1 sc in the same end st, 1 dc in next end st, (1 sc in next end st, 1 dc in next end st) repeat around, sl st to top of first sc, TURN your work. [94 sts]
Join yarn B.
Rnd 2: 1 ch, 1 sc in first dc, 1 dc into next sc, (1 sc in next dc, 1 dc in next sc) repeat around, sl st to top of first sc, TURN your work. [94 sts]
Repeat Round 2 alternating yarns A and B for the houndstooth stitch pattern to appear until you have 28 rounds in total.
Rnd 29: 1 ch, 1 sc2tog around, sl st to top of first st. [47 sts]
Rnd 30: 1 ch, 1 sc2tog around, sc to end, sl st to top of first st. [24 sts]
Using a yarn needle cinch the top of the hat using a running stitch and insert the needle into every second stitch.
Pull the top of the hat closed and secure it.
You can follow a full video tutorial on classic cinch or X closure here How To Cinch A Crochet Hat – X Closure Free Video Tutorial.
Sew in all ends.
Attach a faux fur or yarn pom pom to finish off the hat, however, this is optional.
I hope you love this houndstooth crochet beanie pattern. If you think your crafty friends will like it too, why not share it with them?
You can share a direct link to this pattern on your social media.
If you like this pattern, check out these other crochet hat patterns:
- Free Textured Crochet Beanie For Women – Marta Hat Pattern
- Adorable Free Crochet Hat Pattern For Babies
- Chunky Crochet Hat Pattern – A Shade of Grey
- How to work Single Crochet Bobble and Free Hat Pattern
- Easy Knit Look Crochet Hat Tutorial – Bay Tree Hat Free Pattern
Do not forget to pin this tutorial to your favorite Pinterest Board so you can easily find it later too.
I also send out a fun and free newsletter that is packed with crochet goodies! It is full of free crochet patterns, hand-picked round-ups, and stitch tutorials.
You will also become one of my VIPs and receive exclusive discount codes on newly released patterns that I do not share anywhere else!
So, my crochet newsletter is THE place to be! Sign up below today for a free PDF delivered straight to your inbox right after you sign up!
Are you enjoying the crochet content on this blog? Why not join my exclusive crochet club on Patreon?
You will get PDF crochet patterns, eBooks (tier dependant), sneak peeks, behind the scenes and so much more!
Check it out and join us!
2 thoughts on “Free Houndstooth Crochet Beanie Pattern – Jesse Beanie”
Its a great project. Thanks for sharing.
You are very welcome 😊